It’s probably not two topics that you would put together, but there are so many correlations between all the lessons I learned preparing and competing at my recent body building bikini competition vs what it takes to run, market and brand your business! It was one of the best experiences of my life and while many people think they couldn’t do it, you’d be surprised what you are truly capable of when you just do it one day at a time.
The biggest take home for me from my recent bodybuilding competition, is that I want to apply all that I have learned over the past 2 years about myself through that experience, across all aspects of my life.
So when it comes to marketing and building your business, or your personal brand… we expect it to happen in a matter of weeks or a month, when realistically it might take a couple of years. But is 1 or 2 years a long time really in the grand scale of things? Not really. Not when it’s life changing and permanent.
So here goes:
1. Your desired outcome and action plan - We need to have a plan. If you just start with a goal but no idea of how you’re going to get there, you won’t get there.
2. When you don’t have the knowledge… get a coach to mentor you! If this is an area that you don’t know what you’re doing, then work with somebody that does. And the more qualified they are, the better
3. The Universe will test you along the way! You better believe it! Nothing is a coincidence and each challenge is a step to see just how bad do you want it.
4. Stick to a routine with your Action Plan
5. And make sure it’s customised for YOU.
6. Set yourself up for success.
7. Set goals and make them achievable so each month you feel like you are having a win. Share your goals with people, so you’re more accountable and more likely to achieve what you set out to do.
8. Your coach needs to be personal and constantly working with you on your mindset, because they go hand in hand.
9. Work towards a clear outcome at the end. It has to look like success in your eyes.
10. Be aligned with your coach’s motto! My coach lives by Dedication. Determination. Discipline. And that worked for me!
11. Repetition is what will get you there. There are no shortcuts. It’s not glamour - but it looks glamorous! It’s 5% appearance and 95% grit… just like building your brand!
12. Make sure your goal… is your goal! Don’t compare yourself to others. This is your journey, and your outcome. You get to measure your own success on how it makes you feel, not what other people think.
13. Be surrounded by people that share your vision, or at least support it. Accept that some people will just not understand or respect what you are trying to do, and will be happy to vocalize that to you!
14. Understand that you will feel uncomfortable, And you will need to challenge your comfort zone. Don’t be half assed, if you want true success, you need to go all in.
15. Get excited about learning new stuff, and never think that you know better. You have to be ‘coachable’, so don’t be trapped in your ego.
16. Understand what the numbers mean. The numbers on the scale, the numbers of your calories… the numbers in your business and the numbers in your marketing analytics… they all tell a story and shouldn’t be ignored because they tell the truth.
17. Visualize you in the success as you imagine it. Self-belief is crucial that you believe you can achieve this goal. Do not listen to the knockers. You may need to change your tribe.
18. Be + Do + Have Model. Who do you need to be right now, and what actions do you need to do, to have what you really want to have?
19. It’s your unique challenge and your goal.
20. Be prepared to be challenged. It’s never smooth sailing. Nothing ever runs smoothly.
21. What can you do that is that 1 or 2% more?